With the increase of people with diabetes comes the increase of different ways to help manage it..and one way is using an insulin pump. There are different types of insulin pumps and all of them offer the same function which is to provide insulin on a continuous small basal dose and a bolus dose.
One of the commonly used insulin pump is the T-slim from Tandem Diabetes Care. In this article, we are going to do a review about the T Slim Insulin Pump and see if this kind of pump is worth buying and using for…
T Slim Insulin Pump..
The t-slim Insulin pump by Tandem Diabetes Care offers subcutaneous (under the skin) insulin treatment for the management of diabetes. This ultra-slim device is 38% smaller than other similar devices, has a large touchscreen, rechargeable battery, Bluetooth, is water resistant, and offers free software updates.
Combined with the Basal-IQ technology, glucose events are predicted 30 minutes ahead reducing the frequency and duration of these events.
The t:slim Insulin pump boasts a 31% reduction in sensor time below 70mg/dL, a simple to use user interface, and zero finger sticks needed for mealtime dosing or calibration (when used with Dexcom G6).
Are you considering the t-slim insulin pump? In order to help you make an educated decision we are listing the pros and cons of the device and what real users are saying.
- The x2 software is downloadable via a website and offering free updates through 2020
- The touchscreen is large, bright, and full color
- The device is compact and slim like the name suggests
- Durable with shatter-resistant glass
- High-tech, contemporary appearance
- Quick bolus entry
- Bluetooth technology for integration with multiple devices including smartphones
- Compatible with Dexcom G5
- Boluses calculated up to 50 units
- History display on-screen
- 72-hour carb counting calculator
- Customizable site-change reminder
- Time remaining & IOB displayed on home screen
- Customizable missed bolus reminders
- High temperature alerts
- Limits accidental insulin movement when changing pump position
- Low prediction feature – suspends if BG of 80 or lower is predicted
- Requires charging at least once per week
- Small buttons can be hard to use – screen goes blank if buttons missed 3 times
- Unlock process required in order to program
- Requires case that has clip (no attached clip)
- Tubing connector is proprietary – cannot use other infusion sets
- Tubing connector can catch on clothing
- Bolus & basal settings are in the same time slots which takes several steps to edit
- All programming steps require confirmation
- Vibration is weak
- No meter link
- Tandem Diabetes Care only product is their insulin pump – some question if the company will be around long-term
The t-slim Insulin pump is perfect for anybody type or lifestyle. Once college student mentioned the t-slim insulin pump was perfect for her because of her crazy schedule and the ability to change her basal rates and carb factors at the touch of a button. “Here’s to tighter control of diabetes management with honestly not much work. Perfect for a college student right?” – MB, University of Georgia
One mom commented that, although the t-slim requires multiple steps to change, her daughter’s glucose control is better than with her previous insulin pump. Since the device is technologically advanced, her 12-year-old daughter is interested in the pump and “she’s more interested in the pump and how it works, and she’s paying more attention to her blood sugar than before” – KB, mother.
Another use, after 5 months of use, stated she likes the “….contemporary look of the pump…”, “….being able to fine-tune settings”. She also mentioned the screen is easy to see outside in the sunlight. One of the things she doesn’t care for is the tubing which is easily caught on things and she feels the cartridge takes too long to fill. It is important to note Tandem is planning a change to the tubing for this very reason.
Another t-slim Insulin pump user says, “…and the rechargeable factor is always a win in my book as I hate buying batteries.” SK, type 1 diabetes since 1988.
As previously mentioned, it is important to make an educated decision when choosing an insulin pump. Not all pumps are created equal and changing from one pump to another can be frustrating and inconvenient.
The t-slim pump has both pros and cons, as all insulin pumps do. Tandem Diabetes Care, the t-slim insulin pump innovators, are continuing to update and improve their technology which might be driving insulin pump makers into a new wave of technology.
If you have been using the same insulin pump for many years, and are starting to feel like there might be something better on the market, this might be the time to start researching the new technology and determine if a change is right for you.
We’re hoping that this has helped in some way. If you ever need a hand or have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comment section and we will be more than happy to help you out as much as we can.
Categorised in: Product Review
All the best,
Jacy and Ryan (TMD Team)